Monday, February 1, 2010

RUSSIAN OVERLOAD-Jan 31

Today has been one of the craziest days I’ve experienced in a very long time. This morning my roommates and I woke up to go eat breakfast and get flowers for our host families. Getting breakfast was great.. I ordered without any issues! Learning a lot already. Then, when we were looking at flowers, and old, OLD Russian man comes up to us (me mostly) and starts saying “pah-rum pum pum pum” over and over again. SO weird! I just ignored him until he got a liiiiiiitle too close…then I freaked out and started saying “Net”, over and over again. He then said «что нет? Что нет?» (rough translation: what are you saying no to?) The flower lady saw this man bothering us and proceeded to spray windex in his face. Probably one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in my life. Needless to say, she is one of my new favorite people.

Things went smoothly after that- we went back to the dorm and got packed up to meet our host families. We were all quite nervous, mostly because we knew that we were going to have to start speaking Russian a lot more!

I went into the lounge, where I finally got to meet my host mom (Sasha)! She is stunning and very, very nice. She didn’t let me go outside until I had buttoned up my coat and put my hat on… (AKA: she buttoned up my coat FOR me, and dug my hat out of my bag). I really don’t like wearing hats, but she wants me to, so its all good.

Then we got into the taxi… I don’t know what it is with Russians and extreme temperatures, but its starting to make me sick! Its freezing outside, but practically a sauna indoors! I was too nervous to take my coat off, so with a sweater, scarf, heavy coat, and hat, it didn’t take me long to start sweating. That combined with the taxi drivers crazy driving was enough to make me barf. (I didn’t though)


Sasha’s apartment is a typical Soviet-style apt. building. There are 7-10 identical apartment buildings in her neighborhood. Once we stepped inside I finally met my бабушка (host-grandmother), Tatiana Dmitrievna, and Sasha's daughter, Nastya (5yrs old). Nastya is a bundle of energy. (By the way, My Little Pony= smashing success!)

Sasha gave me a tour of the apartment and explained to me how to lock the doors (much more complicated then you think). Once you open the front door, there is another door you have to unlock. And then you have to turn off the security system. After much explaining in Russian, (and her having to repeat herself a dozen times so I could keep up) I finally understood what to do. They take safety at home much, MUCH more seriously than we would in the US, and for obvious reasons.

Anyway, all the Russian has already given me a headache! My comprehension is a lot better than I thought, and I am already starting to get better after one day. Listening to Nastya speak Russian is VERY cute. And she is not afraid to correct my Russian…also amusing (and helpful). Sasha then took me shopping to buy slippers, toilet paper, and laundry detergent. (Tatiana Dimitrievna won't let me do my own laundry. She insists on doing it for me=win).

After shopping we had dinner. They asked me what I liked to eat and what I didn't, so I told them… I also thought it would be a good idea to tell them that I usually don't eat breakfast. After I said this, I honestly thought they were going to have a heart attack. Their eyes got really big and they said «Net, Net!» So… I guess I'll be eating breakfast this semester.(I had eggs sunny side up for the first time this morning (Feb1)...ehhhhh) At dinner we talked politics, suprisingly. And I understood what they were saying for most of the conversation. As I expected, they LOVE Putin. I'm not quite sure if I understood it correctly, but I think they said Putin is the person who does the most work for Russia, whereas Medvedev (the president) is more of a title and a 'face' for the country. Then we made fun of how short they are… quite hilarious.

Ok, that’s pretty much my day… My brain hurts.

Cultural differences I'm having a hard time getting used to:
1) Many Russians don't have an issue with getting all up in your space. Before coming, I definietly had a personal bubble… not so much anymore. For all of you who know what a non-touchy person I am, you know how difficult this is for me! I've been kissed on the cheek three times today.. three times! And on the metro this person got on the train he got within INCHES of my face. I swear, if I lifted my head we would have been touching noses. AAK!
2) SO MUCH FOOD. And they make you eat ALL OF IT. Tatiana was definitely watching me eat. And she didn't like the fact that I wouldn't finish off my meal with a tomato.
3) Having to be constantly aware of your surroundings including: large holes in the street, drunk men, where your personal items are, etc. Its exhausting. Thank you field training for teaching me situational awarness! (and dad, of course. )
4)Cold Drinks: Russians don't like cold water... or any cold drink for that matter. So juice, water, etc. are lukewarm. I honestly don't think they have ice in their freezer... maybe I'll just go outside and get some.

First day of school is tomorrow-2.5 hours of placement exams. Wish me luck!

Here are some pics of the room:





5 comments:

  1. when can we take tourist pictures of us jumping in front of the hermitage? and in front of churches, bridges, gostiny dvor, and other famous places in st. peteys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the "bed" , Mary? Looks like a bad futon. -Traci

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and i thought my first college dorm was small...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that you talked about politics and наш папа Путин. Yay for babooshka liking laundry and yay for 5 year olds who love ponies. Ew on the lack of personal space btw...not sure how I'll adjust to that. Good luck on tests :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It much cleaner than your room at home.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete