Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nastya Antonovna: My Daily Ego-Check

My typical interaction with my 5 year-old host sister is :

1) Her slapping me in the face when I fall asleep
2) Coming into my room, farting, then running away giggling
3) Leaving dirty spoons on my bed, only for me to find later when I'm already in bed
4) Hiding in my closet when her mom wants her to go to bed and,
5) Wiping her hands on my computer screen.

Although seemingly annoying, these things are actually quite funny. The one thing she does that makes up for #1-5 is:

1) Whenever I practice my pronunciation with my host mom, she will run up to me, laugh in my face, and then proceed to say the word I mispronounced over and over and over again. Usually she runs around the apartment and screams the word repeatedly for about 5 minutes. Although this makes me HATE whatever word that is, (and severely damages whatever ego I have left) I never forget it, and from then on, I always pronounce it correctly.

New-age teaching tactic for Americans learning Russian? I think so. Simply supply each American classroom with a hyperactive 5 year-old Russian native and VOILA. Progress.


3 comments:

  1. Dude did you really use an имя отчество with your 5 yr old host sibling? come on now, have some self-esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teacher last year brought her four year old daughter in. I know your pain.

    ReplyDelete