Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First day of RUSSIA SCHOOL!

Hello, everyone. I am currently sitting in an overly-crowded Mcdonald's by my metro stop because it seems to be the only place to get free wifi. And everyone is staring at me... They're probably thinking "Psh, Americans and their computers..." Well, Russia... I need my internet fix!!! Get over it!

Ladies and gentleman... I have mastered the St. Petersburg Metro! No big deal... Although, I wish I could tell people not to stare at me. I have this constant feeling that there's a booger hanging out of my nose and that's why people are looking. Also, the weirdest thing happened on my way back home.. I am sitting on the metro, minding my own business, when this old Russian woman starts singing some folk song at the top of her lungs and ringing a bell! I'm thinking "what the heck" but nobody else was looking at her. They didn't even flinch. The metro is an interesting, interesting place. Full of old, cranky men, overly-touchy teenage couples, babooshka, elementary school kids... and the occasional dog.

Anyway, today was the first day of class... I went to school by myself and did not get lost! How exciting... My professors are great, they all speak very quickly but are very helpful. I had my politics teacher almost in tears when I told him the story about the flower lady spraying windex in the old drunk mans face (we had to share a funny story in russian).

Tomorrow I don't have class-- excursion day. We are touring the campus, and then going bowling to meet our new tutors. ACTR pairs each student with a Russian tutor/peer that is our age. It is to encourage meeting Russians...obviously. Nathan calls them "paid friends" At least he's honest! I am curious to see who my tutor is.

Funny story to entertain my readers: Today I fell flat on my face on the sidewalk. People weren't kidding when they said there is nasty slush EVERYWHERE. And no salt on the roads... but whyyy!?!? Russia is not conducive to clumsy people like myself.

That's all, folks! Gotta get home, the babooshka is making dinner... where I will no doubt be force fed AGAIN. I'm going to have to buy another bottle of tums, I'm almost halfway through the one I brought with me.

2 comments:

  1. and an occasional dog... very funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. if we go to bone city with our tutors, would that make them prostitutes?

    ReplyDelete