Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Плакать

Living with a five year-old gives you access to all those words you WANT to know but are too embarrassed to ask about.

I'll explain.

Today, as I was in the living room diligently reading Pushkin (Капитанская дочка, if you were curious), I suddenly smelled something AWFUL. I looked up and saw a guilty look on Nastya's face. Here is the conversation that took place:

Me: Awww, NASTYA!! Ты *farting noise*!! (You.. *farting noise*) - If you couldn't guess by now I didn't know the verb 'to fart'.

Nastya: НЕТ, Я не плакала. ТЫ плакала. (NO, I didn't fart. YOU farted).

Me: (excited to now know the verb "to fart") Hmm..ну...Я плакаю, ты плакаешь, она плакает?? правильно?" (Hmm. well is it I fart, you fart, she farts? -- trying to get the conjugation right)

Nastya: "да." (yes)

Me: Ну... они.. плак..плак... ПЛАКАЮТ.. правильно?? (I couldn't figure out "they fart" form)

Nastya :(annoyed) Маша, Я не твоя мама. я не могу объяснять русский язык. (Masha, I'm not your mom. I can't explain Russian to you.)

Me: Ну, ты плакала. Ew. (Well, you farted. Ew).

She proceeds to run and get the air freshener from the bathroom and sprays it all over the family room. I think some got in my tea. Good thing I didn't finish drinking it.

Babushka was NOT happy.








While Nastya was spraying air freshener, Babushka was yelling, and I was laughing hysterically.

Even if it did smell bad, now I know the verb to fart.

All in all, another hilarious day with Nastya.




1 comment: