Sunday, April 18, 2010

Soviet Fun House

....More officially known as the Museum of Political history, where my friends and I spent our Saturday afternoon. Appropriately decorated in several shades of red, this museum further educated me on the Soviet Union (and other parts of history, but mostly the USSR). I already know a fair amount about it, but seeing all of the historical items right in front of me made it that much more real and disturbing.


The thing I found most interesting was the propaganda used during that time to make all the citizens of the USSR submissive:

Check out this tidbit of info:

"The Communist Structure is the best friend of the children"


"Đ¢here are two parties in Russia. The communists and their enemies"


Roughly: "Joyful, colorful childhood-a happy strong family!" (Notice baby waving Soviet Flag)

Well, you get the drift. I felt like I was being brainwashed the whole time I was in there. Here's my best Soviet citizen Impression:

Funny.

Anyway, the next day my babushka asked me what I had done yesterday. I told her I went to the Museum of Political History. Conversation is as follows (mind you, this is in Russian):

Babu: "And what did you learn, Masha?"
Me:" A lot about the Soviet Union."
Babu: "What about it?"
Me: "Oh a lot of bad things. Stuff Stalin did. I don't know how to say it in Russian."
Babu: "Well, Stalin did a lot of things correctly."
Me: "Um. He also did a lot of things incorrectly." (Trying to contain my sarcasm, which thankfully doesn't translate into Russian)
Semi-mean stare from Babu. The conversation ended there.

I find it amazing that so many people here still revere Stalin. Example: For victory day coming up in a couple weeks, Stalin's mug will grace all of the buses that thousands of people ride everyday. Awesome! (Here is where my sarcasm definitely translates)

In other, more uplifting news, our long trip is coming up! This sunday all of the ACTR kids, including the Moscow and Vladimir groups, are going to SOCHI. (Place of the 2014 winter olympics!) If we all don't kill each other on the 47-hour train ride, it should be a great trip. 2 days to get there, 5 days there, and 2 days back. Please pray that I don't go crazy on the train.

3 comments:

  1. Assuming the Russians haven't started World War Three by 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yea good luck with that train ride.. I thought that 10 hours on a plane was bad.. ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, dear!

    To us, the Russian, too much is ridiculous in your countries. But we don't think that you are silly. To judge the country on one museum - it is strange. It is a pity to me that you didn't see the present Russia.

    ReplyDelete